- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. portobello mushrooms, stems removed, caps coarsely chopped
- 1 C canned tomatoes, chopped with their juices
- 1 C dried brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 5 C vegetable stock
- 1/2 C chopped fresh parsley leaves
- salt and pepper to taste 2 bay leaves
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat.
Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until it softens, about 3 minutes.
Add the chopped mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until they soften and begin to release their liquid, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, lentils, and stock.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until lentils are tender and the soup has thickened, about 1 hour.
Season with salt and pepper and stir in the parsley just before serving.